Thursday, September 17, 2009

Stay-Cationing on the Georgia Coast
















I finally persuaded my husband to take a few days away from work, so we made some photographic and fun jaunts around the coast, enjoying the sunshine and gradually cooling weather.





We drove just a few minutes up the road to Fort Pulaski, an always stunning site on the Savannah River as it opens to the sea. The battlescarred fortress is a poignant witness finally at peace along the moats and marshes.





A day trip to Jekyll Island provided a look back in time to the riches of the gilded age as it flourished and then sputtered on this tiny, once private island. The US Parks system is gradually restoring the individual homes and opening each for interesting tours. Of course, I am drawn to the yet-to-be-restored species; their weathered patina and crumbling edges catch my eye. I hope to return to Jekyll for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment